Laurus Sergiev Posad is rightly considered one of thethe most important Orthodox shrines in Russia. It is revered and called the heart of the Orthodox world, because throughout its history this monastery showed an unshakable strength of spirit and faith. Today, here is the largest Orthodox monastery.
The emergence of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra goes intofar back in time, namely, in 1337, when two brothers Bartholomew and Stefan built a cell and a small church near the city of Radonezh. The latter was consecrated in the name of the Most Holy Trinity.
After a while Stefan decided to move toThe Epiphany Monastery, but Bartholomew remained. The latter took the veil and began to be called the name of Sergius (later known as Radonezhsky). In solitude, the hermit was about two years old, then those who wanted to receive instructions began to settle near his cell. In total, there were twelve cells, which after a while were enclosed by a fence, and also a gate was put.
After a while he was appointed hegumenMitrofan, who stayed on this post until 1344. After the post passed to Sergei Radonezhsky himself. He zealously monitored the observance of the order of service, although there was no constant priest. So the future Laurus of Sergiev Posad began to form.
During the lifetime of Sergius a large wooden church was built with the money of Archimandrite Simon. Also renovated the cells for the brothers.
An important milestone in the history ofTatar-Mongol yoke. It was a hard time for everyone. In 1380 hegumen Sergius, at the request of Prince Dmitry, who honored him, stood in prayer all the while the battle was going on. Thanks to his gift of foresight, he saw everything that was happening on the battlefield.
In 1392 the future Lavra of Sergiev Posadlost the Monk Sergei. He went into another world. His successor was Nikon. Fifteen years after the appointment, the monastery was burnt to the ground by the invasion of the horde. It had to be rebuilt.
In 1422, another miracle occurred thatallowed to open the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh. This led to a new construction, which resulted in the construction of the Trinity Cathedral. It was he who became the temple for the relics of the saint.
The cathedral was built of stone. For his painting was invited to the famous icon painter Andrei Rublev. Of course, the painting in its original form has not been preserved to the present day, as it was updated several times, and some fragments were generally executed anew.
I would like to separately say about that period in my lifeMonastery, when he was besieged by Poles and Lithuanians. It began in 1608 and lasted until 1610. The monastery was besieged by a huge army, and the defenders were several times smaller. At that time, the entire Lavra of Sergiev Posad stood in prayer. Thanks to the intercession of the patron Saint Sergius of Radonezh, the monastery stood.
At this time, there were numerous miracles and,Despite the preponderance of opponents, the brothers did not give up and believed. For six weeks the monastery walls were shelled from guns, but the storm did not work. Then in the course went undermining the enemy, which also did not help break through the defense.
The protection of the monastery is also an indicator of masculinity. At that time, this feat encouraged many not to surrender and continue the struggle against the invaders.
The Trinity-Sergius Lavra at one time serveda refuge for royalty. It was thanks to their frequent visits that special chambers were built - the Halls. This building was designed specifically for such visits.
In the monastery Peter I sheltered from the uprising in 1682year. Seven years later he was there again, but already fleeing the plot. It was here that the "beloved" regiments came to help the future tsar, who allowed him to cope with the conspirators. From this monastery the new history of the reign of Peter the Great begins.
In 1742 the monastery opened a seminary, andIn two years the monastery received the status of the Lavra. Since 1747, the construction of a church in the name of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God begins. It lasted until 1767. The style of the church is baroque, it has a rounded shape, as well as numerous balconies with balustrades.
The city itself began to be laid down since 1610,when in the monastery was a military garrison. At the same time around him began to appear the first settlements. The grounds of the monastery had great privileges, which contributed to the development of crafts, as well as the prosperity of trade. As a result, the settlement grew, as well as an increase in the number of people, which in the future led to the formation of the city of Sergiev Posad. The Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra actively contributed to this and its buildings.
The monastery received the title of Lavra, andthe emergence of spiritual educational institutions, elevated it to a special status. Already at the beginning of the XVIII century around the monastery was a large number of densely populated settlements. In 1782 they all received the name Sergiev Posad. He fully worked for the needs of the monastery - the service of pilgrims arriving in large numbers, trade, subsequently hotel business, etc. Everything was connected with the needs of the Lavra. We can say that the city of Sergiev Posad in the Moscow region was a great continuation of the monastery.
During the formation of the Soviet power of the Lavrahas undergone changes. Numerous property of the monastery was confiscated. In 1918, the nationalization of the Lavra took place, and a year later a blasphemous act was committed - the revelation of the relics of Sergius of Radonezh. This event caused a large crowd to gather in the monastery and the city of Sergiev Posad in the Moscow region. The new authorities made concessions to believers - they did not destroy the relics, but simply opened it.
In November 1919, all the monks from the monastery were evicted and sent to the Gethsemane monastery, and in May 1920 it was completely sealed and closed.
After these events there were many institutions on the territory of the monastery: a museum, a club, a shooting gallery, and even a pedagogical institute. Some buildings were occupied by residents.
Further years were not easy. The church of Filaret was destroyed, in which were the graves of some saints. The latter were looted, and the relics were thrown into a pit with garbage.
The resumption of divine services occurred in 1946on Easter. They recovered some relics of saints, and also opened a theological seminary and the academy. It was one of the few active monasteries in the difficult time for Orthodoxy.
Of course, after the Soviets leftpolitical arena, the Orthodox could not hide their faith. In addition to the work of the Academy and Seminary that was renewed in 1948, now there are two schools - icon painting and regency. Also there is a museum.
The destroyed monasteries of the Lavra began to revive, after which solemn divine services are held in them. The hotel was reconstructed, which now houses all comers with amenities.
Now in the monastery there are about three hundredmonks who have different responsibilities. This, for example, publishing and missionary activities, they feed the prisoners, and also take the confession of pilgrims.
Trinity Lavra (Sergiev Posad) impresses everyonemiracles, which occurred here according to the will of God. The patron of the monastery Sergius of Radonezh not once warned of a dashing. For the first time this happened in 1408. He came in a dream to his successor Nikon and warned of the danger. All the brothers went to a safe place and did the right thing, because the monastery was burned to the ground.
Another similar vision happened in 1611. Then he three times appeared Kuzma Minin with an appeal to collect the army and go to liberate Moscow.
To date, the Lavra constructions, which wereerected in the XV-XIX centuries, are some help on Russian architecture of that time. For example, the Pyatnitskaya Tower, which appeared in 1640. She is one of the most powerful, and she also has seventy-seven loopholes.
Enter the Lavra through the Holy Gates, abovewhich houses the Gate Gate of the Red Tower, which has fifty eight loopholes. The gates themselves are decorated with various frescoes that tell of the life of St. Sergius of Radonezh.
Also an interesting architectural composition is the Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. It is decorated in the Moscow Baroque style and is a beautiful decoration of the entrance to the Lavra.
In 1422 the Trinity Cathedral was built in honor of St. Sergius of Radonezh. This is a truly interesting building, which conveys some moments of architecture of that time.
The Holy Trinity Lavra (Sergiev Posad) keeps many sacred objects, which are of great importance for the Orthodox. Let's consider each of them:
In the monastery, they practice curing diseases thatmedicine refers to the soul. In Orthodoxy this is corruption and insanity. Therefore, very many aching spiritually come here, where the city of Sergiev Posad, Lavra is located. The testimony takes place with the help of prayers, which are a special legacy for this since the fourth century. Also anointing with holy oil, then sprinkling with holy water and cross-stitching.
Of course, the patients themselves behave notquite adequately. Obsessed by various demons, the human body performs a rather strange gesture. Also, patients make different sounds, inhuman voices, and also croak, cry, laugh. Some patients are brought from other areas connected.
One of the strongest exorcists in the citySergiev Posad (Laurus) - Father Herman (Chesnokov). He does such cleaning. By the way, this is not a joke, and it is better not to be present. This event is dangerous because an inexperienced and weak person can himself pick up some demon. Then he will need a copy of the report.
Now consider how to get to the citySergiev Posad (the Lavra). The address is not complicated at all. He is in the Moscow region. You can get there from the Yaroslavsky railway station by suburban electric trains, which follow directly to the station you need. Approximate driving time - an hour and a half. Then directly to the Lavra from the station you can walk or go one stop on a minibus.
In addition to suburban electric trains to SergievPosada is followed by buses. They come from VDNH very often. The first bus leaves at half past seven in the morning, and the last one leaves at twenty-eleven in the evening. From Sergiev Posad, the first bus goes at five o'clock ten in the morning, and the last one - at nine o'clock in the evening.
For a more convenient car journey to the city of Sergiev Posad (Lavra), the map of this area will be your helper. Get it before traveling and you can easily get there.</ p>>